Who Can Apply?
Applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Graduating high school senior
- Attend an accredited and approved collegiate institution in the state of Texas in the upcoming fall semester
- Show leadership abilities
- Demonstrate a connection to sports. There are many ways to be connected to sports without performing on the field. Previous recipients have included members in the marching band, athletic trainers, and cheerleaders/drill team
- Present evidence of financial need
- Be a United States citizen
- Attend high school in one of the 9 counties listed in North Texas
** If you haven’t enrolled/been accepted to a college yet, you may still apply for the Scovell Scholarship. However, the eventual awarding of the scholarship will require verification of enrollment in a college or university in the state of Texas.
When is the application due?
Your complete application and ALL of the application requirements must be submitted by 11:59PM on Friday, March 3rd 2017.
What are the application requirements?
The following requirements must be completed by the application deadline – 11:59 EST, March 3rd 2017
- Submit the application form on the website
- Upload a scanned copy of an official transcript
- Upload SAT and/or ACT score transcripts.
- Provide financial information and provide parents’ most recent federal income tax return (1040)
- Complete essay
- Upload 2 letters of recommendation –
- Should be submitted by people who can provide information about your character, academic accomplishments, community service, extracurricular activities, and leadership potential. Coaches, teachers, guidance counselors, mentors, employers, and church staff are several examples of candidates for your letters of recommendation.
- Attendance at the Scovell Scholars Banquet (if awarded)
The application and the letters of recommendation may only be submitted electronically through our website. No late applications will be accepted. Scholarship recipients will be notified by the end of April.
How many scholarships do you typically award?
The foundation typically awards 10 new scholarships each year to graduating high school seniors and 5 additional scholarships to current Scovell Scholars who continue to perform at a high level in college
What is the amount of the scholarship and are there any restrictions on its use?
Scovell Scholars receive a $4000 scholarship toward tuition in your first year of your undergraduate education. Once you become a Scovell Scholar in your first year, you may apply for future Scovell Scholarships for each of your 3 additional years of your undergraduate education.
How do you define a “financial need?”
The Scovell Scholarship Foundation understands there are many factors in determining financial need. Each application will be examined by our selection committee on a case by case basis.
What if I don't know how much financial aid I'll be getting from college?
Typically colleges award financial aid packages between March and May, so we understand that you might not have all of your financial information by our application deadline. Financial information will be verified with our finalists before recipients are awarded a Scovell Scholarship.
Is there someone I can contact if I need help completing the application?
If you have any questions regarding the requirements and content of the scholarship application, please email the Scovell Scholarship Foundation at firstname.lastname@example.org